Friday, July 22, 2011

Rum Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream.




A friend of mine had been begging me to make him rum cupcakes for the longest time (maybe even about a year now) and today was the day I finally got down to it! I was a little skeptical at first since I have never made a rum cake before and I was not sure how a rum cake recipe would work in cupcake pans, but overall, it turned out to be one of the best baking experiences ever! The frosting was so creamy and delicious, but I would advise you to double the recipe because I ran out towards the end and I like to use ALOT of frosting. I also had alot of batter left over and decided to make mini cupcakes which are perfect for a little snack in case you don't want to over indulge on the larger ones.

So, Chris, these cupcakes are for you! I know it took a little longer then it should have, but I really think you're going to like them! Enjoy!!!

Rum CupCakes:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter
4 eggs
1 3.4-ounce package (dry) instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup dark rum

Combine all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix at medium speed for two minutes. Be sure not to overbeat! Pour into muffin cups. Place in a 350-degree oven. Bake for 20-22 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.
*For mini cupcakes: Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 mins.
 
 
 

Classic Vanilla Buttercream
 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioners sugar, SIFTED!
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
 
Beat butter for 2 minutes with a mixer on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn mixer on the lowest speed. Mix until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk and beat for 3 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment